A more efficient parking facility design can help to reduce the overall size of the parking facility. In addition, an effective functional design can also have a significant impact on a number of operational issues such as user comfort and safety.
An effective functional design also accomplishes the following goals to improve pedestrian and vehicular safety:
- Minimizing internal walls to increase visibility for drivers and eliminate hiding places
- Limiting interaction, and therefore potential conflicts, between drivers and pedestrians
- Decreasing ramp slopes to reduce vehicular speeds
- Installing appropriate, strategically-located signage visible to drivers and pedestrians
- Improving pedestrian traffic flow toward their desired destinations